Class Activities, week of February 12, 2018

Forming Be Going To Future


Affirmative FormSubject + am / is / are + going to + verb + complement
She is going to sell her house.
Negative FormSubject + am not / isn't / aren't + going to + verb + complement
She is not going to sell her house.
Question FormAm / is / are + Subject + going to + verb + complement?
Is she going to sell her house?
Negative Question FormAm...not / isn't / aren't + subject + going to + verb + complement?
Isn't she going to sell her house?

To be going to
1- Memorize, repeat and pass in front of your classmates.

Form
Third Person
First Person
Plural
Question
Is he going to?
Is she going to?
Is it going to?
Am I going to?
Are we going to?
Are you going to?
Are they going to?
Affirmative contraction
He’s going to.
She’s going to.
It’s going to.
I’m going to.
We’re going to.
You’re going to.
They’re going to.
Affirmative
He is going to.
She is going to
It is going to.

I am going to.
We are going to.
You are going to.
They are going to.
Negative question
Is he not going to?
Is she not going to?
Is it not going to?
Am I not going to.
Are we not going to?
Are you not going to?
Are they not going to?
1st Negative contraction
He’s not going to.
She’s not going to.
It’s not going to.
I’m not going to.
We’re not going to.
You’re not going to.
They’re not going to.
Negative
He is not going to.
She is not going to.
It is not going to.
I am not going to.
We are not going to.
You are not going to.
They are not going to.
Negative contracted question
Isn’t he going to?
Isn’t she going to?
Isn’t going to?

Aren’t we going to?
Aren’t you going to?
Aren’t they going to?
2nd Negative contraction
He isn’t going to.
She isn’t going to
It isn’t going to.

We aren’t going to.
You aren’t going to.
They aren’t going to.
Short answers
Yes he is going to.
Yes she is going to.
Yes it is going to.
Yes I am going to.
Yes we are going to..
Yes you are going to..
Yes they are going to..
No he is not going to.
No she is not going to.
No it is not going to.
No I am not going to.
No we are not going to..
No you are not going to..
No they are not going to.
No he’s not going to.
No she’s not going to
No it’s not going to.
No I’m not going to.
No we’re not going to..
No you’re not going to..
No they’re not going to.
No he isn’t going to.
No she isn’t going to.
No it isn’t going to.

No we aren’t going to.
No you aren’t going to..
No they aren’t going to.

Be Going To Exercise


Use be going to in the following sentences.

1. Are you  (watch) the ceremony tomorrow?
2. Gary  (not visit) his cousin today because he is tired.
3. I  (paint) my room on Sunday.
4. The guests  (bring) their own food.
5. There are no clouds in the sky. It  (not rain) today.
6. My mother  (cook) dinner for us later.
7. I'd better sleep. I  (get up) early in the morning.
8. Am I  (come) with you tomorrow?
9. Your friends  (not do) your homework for you.

"Was Going To" for past intentions

1. I was going to sell my cara) but then I remembered he speaks English well.
2. I was going to ring you yesterday eveningb) but I lost my bank card.
3. I was going to withdraw some moneyc) but no-one wanted to buy it.
4. I was going to quit my jobd) but then I realised it was too difficult.
5. I was going to buy a new hi-tech watche) but then there was a strike.
6. I was going to visit my aunt in New Zealandf) but then she decided to move to Britain.
7. I was going to take a bus to work for a changeg) but then I saw the price of it!!
8. I was going to watch the late movie last nighth) but I didn't have any coins.
9. I was going to learn to play piano last yeari) but then I heard about the coming recession!
10. I was going to speak to Angelo in Italianj) but then I fell asleep on the sofa.

  Reading Aloud


The Great Wall of China

Walls and wall building have played a very important role in Chinese culture. These people, from the dim mists of prehistory have been wall-conscious; from the Neolithic period – when ramparts of pounded earth were used - to the Communist Revolution, walls were an essential part of any village. Not only towns and villages; the houses and the temples within them were somehow walled, and the houses also had no windows overlooking the street, thus giving the feeling of wandering around a huge maze. The name for “city” in Chinese (ch’eng) means wall, and over these walled cities, villages, houses and temples presides the god of walls and mounts, whose duties were, and still are, to protect and be responsible for the welfare of the inhabitants. Thus a great and extremely laborious task such as constructing a wall, which was supposed to run throughout the country, must not have seemed such an absurdity.

However, it is indeed a common mistake to perceive the Great Wall as a single architectural structure, and it would also be erroneous to assume that it was built during a single dynasty. For the building of the wall spanned the various dynasties, and each of these dynasties somehow contributed to the refurbishing and the construction of a wall, whose foundations had been laid many centuries ago. It was during the fourth and third century B.C. that each warring state started building walls to protect their kingdoms, both against one another and against the northern nomads. Especially three of these states: the Ch’in, the Chao and the Yen, corresponding respectively to the modern provinces of Shensi, Shanzi and Hopei, over and above building walls that surrounded their kingdoms, also laid the foundations on which Ch’in Shih Huang Di would build his first continuous Great Wall.
The role that the Great Wall played in the growth of Chinese economy was an important one. Throughout the centuries many settlements were established along the new border. The garrison troops were instructed to reclaim wasteland and to plant crops on it, roads and canals were built, to mention just a few of the works carried out. All these undertakings greatly helped to increase the country’s trade and cultural exchanges with many remote areas and also with the southern, central and western parts of Asia – the formation of the Silk Route. Builders, garrisons, artisans, farmers and peasants left behind a trail of objects, including inscribed tablets, household articles, and written work, which have become extremely valuable archaeological evidence to the study of defence institutions of the Great Wall and the everyday life of these people who lived and died along the wall.


Past tense review


Past Tense Worksheet

You have to fill each space with either the past continuous, past perfect simple or past perfect continuous.

1. I was exhausted at the end of the exam. I __________ (write) for over two hours.

2. When thieves stole my favorite leather jacket, I was really upset. I __________ (have) it for over ten years.

3. Please step out of the car, Mr. Jones. Do you realize you __________ (drive) at over 90mph?

4. We didn't really want to go and see the musical again. We __________ (already see) it twice - so we said "no" and we went to a restaurant instead.

5. I arrived over an hour late to the office and everyone __________ (work). Actually, they __________ (work) for over two hours on the new project and I felt really guilty.

6. The kitchen was full of steam when we arrived. Joan was in the kitchen and she __________ (cook) a huge meal for everyone at the party.

7. It was a bit embarrassing to arrive at their house and find Mary looking so sad. I think she __________ (cry) before we got there.

8. No-one even noticed when I got home. They __________ (all watch) the big game on TV and obviously the dog __________ (bark) for over an hour. I was furious.

9. Sue wasn't in the sales department when I started working here. She __________ (work) in accounting for more than five years but wanted a change.

10. You got to the airport too late! The plane __________ (already arrive) and the twins __________ (wait) for you.

Reading comprehension



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typing in Spanish

Pronunciation